4×4 and Modified 4×4 Insurance for Young Drivers
If you drive a 4×4 or a modified 4×4, you need insurance cover that meets your specific requirements if the car is taken off-road. At Go Girl, we specialise in 4×4 insurance, and we also understand the unique needs of young drivers. So we’ll give you the cover you need at a price you can afford.
What is 4×4 Insurance?
Car insurance covers you for everyday driving conditions. But if you drive a 4×4, you might occasionally drive in a way that’s not covered by all car insurance policies. You might go off-road, for example, or you might use your 4×4 for certain professional purposes. 4×4 insurance will cover you for this sort of specialist driving.
Just tell us as much as you can about your 4×4 driving requirements, and we’ll confirm if our policy gives you the cover you need.
What Does 4×4 Insurance Cover?
We offer three levels of cover:
- Third Party Only – If you’re involved in an accident, we’ll cover the cost of any repairs for anyone else involved, but you’ll be responsible for covering your own costs.
- Third Party Fire & Theft – On top of the cover you’d get with a third party policy, we’ll also cover you for fire or theft.
- Comprehensive Insurance – The highest level of cover. You’ll get all the cover you’d get with a third party fire & theft policy, but we’ll also cover you for any repairs your car might need in the event of an accident.
Our standard insurance policy covers you for driving on certain types of terrain, and if you drive your 4×4 car for certain professional purposes, for example – if you work in agriculture, construction, gardening, or as a tree surgeon or park ranger (subject to requesting / selecting the appropriate business use).
For more information, please check the policy wording.
Green Laning and Off-Roading
What’s the difference between green laning and off-roading? Green lanes are like ordinary roads, except they’re unpaved. We consider off-roading to be any driving across terrain that features neither paved roads nor green lanes. So if you work in agriculture, our policy covers you for travelling on those rugged and muddy country lanes.
If you are unsure about this, we are happy to discuss your needs in more detail.
Modified 4×4 Insurance
Depending on how you intend to use your 4×4, you might need to modify your vehicle. Certain modifications will affect your insurance. This is because some modifications might affect your car’s performance, putting you at greater risk of an accident. Modifications might also affect your visibility, or make your vehicle harder to handle in off-road conditions. Some modifications will make your car more appealing to thieves, and almost all modifications are costly to repair or replace if you’re involved in an accident.
As different types of modifications will affect your insurance in different ways, all we ask is that you notify us of any existing modifications you’ve got for your 4×4. We also ask that you let us know about any new modifications.
4×4 Insurance for Young Drivers
To account for the specialist driving conditions and the increased size, weight and performance of your car, 4×4 cars may cost more to insure than other cars. This may be even more the case if you are a young driver with limited driving experience.
However, if you’re a young driver and you need 4×4 car insurance, there are certain things you can do which may help reduce the cost of your premium.
How to Reduce the Cost of Your 4×4 Insurance
- Park your car in a well-lit area, or off-road in a driveway or garage, to reduce the risk of theft.
- Take care with the modifications you choose. Some will drive up the cost of your insurance.
- Build up a no claims bonus to receive a discount in the long-term. Yes, you might have to pay more for cover initially. But demonstrate that you’re a safe and trustworthy 4×4 driver and you’ll eventually make savings.
You could also choose an insurer that understands your unique needs as both a young driver and a 4×4 driver. At Go Girl, we know that all drivers are different, and that 4×4 drivers have particular requirements that may not be covered by other standard policies.