Do you have valid car insurance?
It’s important to be sure, as it’s illegal to drive without insurance.
You can quickly check the insurance status of your car using the online Motor Insurance Database. Just enter your vehicle registration number and you’ll immediately find out whether or not your car is currently insured. But it won’t tell you who you’re insured with, just whether or not you currently have car insurance.
Who Is My Car Insured With? How to Find Out
If you know you have car insurance, but you can’t remember who your insurer is, there are a few things you can try:
- Check your emails. Search your email inbox for terms like “insurance” and “car insurance.” Also search for your car’s make, model, and registration number. When taking out insurance, your insurer will have emailed you with confirmation details. These emails should still be in your inbox. Don’t forget to check your deleted folder, too!
- Check your bank statement. Whether you’re making monthly payments or annual payments, your premium payments will show up on your bank statement. Usually, your statement will display the name of your insurer along with the payment details.
- Check your files. You probably have a big folder full of all your important documents. Or maybe you have several big folders. Your insurer may have provided you with hard copies of your policy details. These aren’t the sort of documents you’d just throw away, are they? So check your files, and check again – they’re bound to be in there somewhere!
Are You Getting the Car Insurance Cover You Need?
Once you find out who you’re insured with, take the time to review your policy. Then ask yourself – is this the right cover for me? Whether you are a young driver or an experienced driver, you need to make sure you are getting the right insurance.
Pay particular attention to the following:
- Personal details. Are they up to date? If any of your circumstances have changed, you should let your insurer know as soon as possible. Find out when you need to update your insurance details with our guide.
- Level of cover. You can choose between third party cover, third party with fire and theft cover, or comprehensive cover. Find out more about what comprehensive cover and third party cover is.
- Extras. Most insurers let you add various extras to your car insurance to provided specialist cover for certain situations. Perhaps the most useful add-on to any insurance policy is breakdown cover. It’s the sort of thing that you’ll hopefully never need. But if you ever do need to use it, you’ll be very glad to have it! So take the time to review the extras your insurer has available, and consider whether any are right for you.
You can read our full guide to what to look for when checking your car insurance.
Why is This Important?
It’s vital that you have the right level of cover for you and your vehicle, and that your personal details are up to date.
Why? Two reasons:
- It’s illegal to drive without car insurance. And there are some severe penalties for driving uninsured. If you find that your insurance is out of date, or that it’s not fit for purpose, don’t drive again until you’ve sorted things out!
- Insurers can invalidate your car insurance if you don’t keep them up to date. You have to tell them about everything, from changes to your personal circumstances to any points you get on your licence. If insurers invalidate your car insurance, many other insurers may refuse to work with you.
At Go Girl, we specialise in giving careful drivers comprehensive insurance cover for less. We offer a range of extras, including breakdown cover and contents cover, so you can tailor your policy to suit your exact needs. Get in touch to get a free quote online in minutes.